Sally

Sally

About Me

My photo
California, United States
I'm a wife, mom, mom-in-law, grandma, and writer. To read more, visit www.sally-john.com. :)

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 184


Wednesday, March 16, 2011. . .
            THE WRITING. . .A plugging-along day, touch-and-go moments of tying some loose threads, letting others dangle and tangle.
            THE DETAILS. . .Whoa!  Middle-of-the-night birdsong!  I utterly adore this on the rare occasions it happens! It went on from 11:15 p.m. until after 1 a.m. The birds were so happy. I dozed, awoke, dozed, awoke, not wanting to miss it.  
I suspect it was an end-of-winter party for them. They’re all packing up to head to their summer home in Coal Valley, Illinois.  =)  What a treat to be invited!
            In The Darkling Thrush Thomas Hardy writes about that bird’s “full hearted evensong” at the end of a day:
“That I could think there trembl’d through
His happy good-night air
Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware.”

Apparently Hardy was lamenting that he did not have that Hope, but that’s not my point. His words capture the essence of birdsong:  a Hope that lives in a creature doing exactly what his true self prompts him to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment