Sally

Sally

About Me

My photo
California, United States
I'm a wife, mom, mom-in-law, grandma, and writer. To read more, visit www.sally-john.com. :)

Friday, October 8, 2010

Day 25


Thursday, October 7, 2010. . .An up-close-and-personal time with the folks today. Conflict slowed and I lingered in the watching the leading lady and her man reunite after world events have kept them separated. Seeing how they interacted in person with each other was a treat. They are good together. They are home together. Conflict between them does not exist today. It is a glimpse of heaven-like union.
            I’m going to hate pressing a wedge between them. =)
            I write at my inexpensive lightweight fake wood, metal legged, L-shaped, drawer-less Staples desk. One time I touched J.R.R. Tolkien’s desk in a museum at Wheaton College. It’s the one upon which he wrote The Hobbit. I held my breath in awe.
            My writing room is a bedroom, the one my granddaughters use when they visit. If this were not a furnished rental, I would change things. It is an awfully nice room, though. Bright and airy, on the second floor. I’ve put up a few photographs I’ve taken of favorite nature scenes: an ocean sunset, a creek in Illinois, Anza-Borrego Desert.
I have pushed aside furniture in order to put the desk at a west-facing window. The alley is below it. I look out at a few windows of a two-story apartment building. I can see the tops of two palm trees and sky. Blinds cover the windows, but sometimes I see a cat in one, sometimes a flickering television at all hours of the day and night, sometimes a woman shampooing her hair in a kitchen sink.
Most of my writing years I used a wonderful, monstrous-sized desk that I bought at a Salvation Army. When we moved I used a folding table loaned to me by friends for a couple months.
And then I bought my dream desk. There was a tall matching bookcase, a chair, and no bedroom furniture in the room. I enjoyed all of that for one and a half years before the fire changed things. Then I was back to a folding table for a time.
Environment is important. Obviously I like a desk to be part of mine. It’s like a portal to the world of make believe. Once I’m ushered through it, it fades from view.
DETAILS. . .Early morning walk on the pier. The ocean was glassy still. No dolphins but Gulls and pelicans and even Canada geese were all over the water. I kept singing Matt Redman’s song, Seeing and Singing. “No one can sing of things we have not seen. Open our eyes towards a greater glimpse. The glory of You…” Nature gives me a greater glimpse of glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment