Sally

Sally

About Me

My photo
California, United States
I'm a wife, mom, mom-in-law, grandma, and writer. To read more, visit www.sally-john.com. :)

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 58



Tuesday, November 9, 2010. . .
            THE WRITING. . .Worked on workshop material for next June, trying to summarize in three hours how I write 92,000 coherent words.
            The workshop is one reason I started this blog, an attempt to freshen my perspective on old presentations. Exactly what goes on in between all those words?
            THE DETAILS. . .A visit down memory lane with My Guy. =)
We drove to Julian in the mountains, ate breakfast at the Julian Café, an old favorite; skipped their famous dinner-plate-size cinnamon roll. Sigh. Then we went to nearby Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, our traditional Veterans Day picnic spot in the late 1980s, when the kids were young and had that day off of school.  
            An old gold mine (above photo) and one-room museum is there. This was the memory I tapped into a few years ago while writing A Time to Mend. How could my characters escape a wildfire? Go inside a mine! =)  All of life is copy, even years-old family outings. (The wildfire in that story, by the way, was not on my personal radar until ten months later than the writing of it.)
            The deep quiet and crisp air was luscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment